Monday, May 17, 2010

@ Ozark - Helping the homeless

Helping the homeless was one of the most enlightening experiences I have had in awhile. Today at Watered Gardens we washed the homeless people’s feet, and then gave them new socks and shoes to put on and keep. I first met a man named Mike, he said he was 63, I believe, and I was talking with him about Arizona, and his life and what I came to Missouri for. I asked him what he was doing after this and he said he was headed over to the social security office and then had nothing planned. I then helped out a man named John, he was more of a scruffy looking guy, whereas Mike looked older and pretty well kept. John had some very dirty, old, and unkempt feet, and it was interesting washing in-between his toes. All I know is that some dirt or whatever came from in-between his toes. It was a great experience to just ask him what he was doing after and just asking him if I was tickling his feet, or providing any discomfort. With both men, we also gave soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste and a toothbrush. I didn’t really have Godly conversations with my guys like some others did, but I still know that God has touched them and provided for their needs. I need to remember just like 1 Corinthians 3:7-8 explains, that God is the one who changes and grows people, we don’t have that power.

I just hung around waiting for more people, but none really came so I helped move some food upstairs to downstairs and talk to fellow students. When I was leaving, a man named Moses pointed me out and wanted to talk. He noticed I had my Arizona State hoodie on and asked if I went there. I told him that I graduated from there and now I am here. He was telling me that he helped build the 101 Freeway and that he also did work in Tucson. He moved to Missouri on a whim that he was in love with his girlfriend. But when he got down here her and her son stole his car and wrecked it. So he has been struggling ever since. He got some good work out here doing concrete and house building work, so the money was good and he bought trucks, a boat, 4 wheelers and just fun things. But then there was all of a sudden no work because of the economy, so he ended up having to sell most everything to pay the bills. Now he is living on 7 acres of land that another friend of his owns and is living in a 14x22’ storage shed with electricity. He is just living life, but was out at Watered Gardens to try to get groomed and find some work around here so he could help his friend that has been blindly providing for his needs. He was such a great role model for me when I was talking with him. Even as I am writing this I’m getting shivers because of the conversation we had. We were both pouring out hearts out to each other. Eventually we started talking about Offroading and the kinds of things he and his buddy had put together and the KOH – Something something hammer racing events that were about 2 hours away from Joplin that is a stress rally for offroading. He was telling me about all the vehicles that were used and what to have in them so you can lock up the back tires together or separately with a single lever (apparently making them non street legal). He poured out his heart and said if they can have power lifters doing what they do, but Glorify God with it, then someone can have offroading clubs and demonstrations that lift up God and promote his Kingdom. I believe that is something that has been put on his heart, and I told him about my dream with computers and making an outreach with that as well. Ugh… there are just so many good ideas that “could” work, but who knows what kind of Church would help fund that kind of dream.

It really hit me as I was talking to Moses, I am just so blessed and he was too. I started tearing up while I was talking to him and started choking up while I was headed back to my car. I am so blessed and I often don’t recognize it. Thank you Lord for your patience with me

No comments:

Post a Comment